Pages

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Ozil relished the challenge against former club

Real Madrid midfielder, Mesut Özil is excited over the chance to play just 30 kilometres from where he grew up when Real Madrid take on Borussia Dortmund in the first leg of their Champions League Semi-final tie.



He is excited by the chance to play against his team-mates on the national squad.



In his pre-match press conference, Özil spoke about Wednesday evening’s match at Westfalenstadion and the thrill of facing Marco Reus and Mario Götze.



“Logically it’s very exciting for me to get to play against my team-mates but it’s even more special to be still playing for Real Madrid. This is the third time I’ve made it to a semi-final and it’s a vital game for us. The most important thing is that we give the best of ourselves and try to reach the final.”



The German international then spoke about his recent goal scoring performances, but says it’s not for individual recognition, it’s to help the team.



“I’m happy to be on a goal scoring run but the most important thing is that we function as a team.



“I hope we can give a good image of ourselves to everyone watching and work as a team, scoring goals is not the most important thing for me.”



Özil concluded by giving his thoughts on the shocking transfer of Borussia Dortmund midfielder, Mario Götze to rivals, Bayern Munich next summer.



“I didn’t know anything about this before, I just found out today. I know him well and I’m happy for him but I don’t want to talk any more about this issue because I want to focus on tomorrow’s game.”


-->

No comments:

Post a Comment