Pages

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Luiz: I'm living the dream

David Luiz has said that he is fulfilling his dreams with Chelsea. The 26-year-old Brazil defender, or midfielder, has been a key component of the Blues side which has reached tomorrow's UEFA Europa League final against his former club Benfica, where he hopes to realise his ambition of more silverware.



Luiz, who won the FA Cup and UEFA Champions League in his first full season at Stamford Bridge, said: "When I was young, I dreamt one day of playing for a big club. Now I have the opportunity.



"I dreamt of playing in big games - now I have another opportunity. I dreamt of playing in finals - now I have another opportunity. I'm so happy with this."



Luiz is thrilled to be playing against his former club, too. His Blues team-mate Ramires is also a former Benfica player. "I have a lot of love for Benfica but inside the game it's for Chelsea," added Luiz, who moved to London from Lisbon in January 2011.



It will be a magnificent day and a difficult game for us. Chelsea have an opportunity to win one more European title, so let's do it.

David Luiz on the Europa League final


"It's naturally emotional because it's a final. Everyone wants to win, I want to win. Benfica, for sure, want to win. It will be a magnificent day and a difficult game for us. Chelsea have an opportunity to win one more European title, so let's do it."



Luiz has been deployed at centre-half and in defensive midfield this term, but wherever he plays he has influenced matches. The Brazilian, who scored in each leg of the semi-final with Basle, said: "I just try my best every game and in the final, I'll do everything. If I get another opportunity to score a goal, I'm happy with this."



Asked if he has a position of preference, Luiz said: "In the starting XI. I enjoy playing football. I love football. I try my best in all the positions. When you're open to learn things, you can change positions, you can learn more and you can improve your game."



Luiz attributed his enhanced influence this term to being more mature and he has played nearly every game of the campaign. The Europa League final will be the 68th competitive match of the season, but Luiz is not feeling any ill effects. He said: "There's no time to be tired. I'm so fresh and I want to win."



No comments:

Post a Comment