Pages

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Heynckes taking a break for now

Bayern Munich's triple-winning boss Jupp Heynckes today confirmed he will not coach a team next season, despite receiving offers to take charge of "rich clubs where money does not matter".



Heynckes has been heavily linked with the vacancy at his former club Real Madrid after the departure of Jose Mourinho to Chelsea, but has opted to take a break to spend more time with his family.



The 68-year-old, who led Bayern to the Bundesliga, Champions League and DFB-Pokal titles this season, said at a press conference: "I will not seek a new job after July 1, either at home or abroad.



"I told my wife last summer I will fulfil my contract at Bayern and then not continue.



"Other clubs were interested in signing me after this season - rich clubs where money does not matter.



"Such clubs have never interested me."


He admitted age was a factor in his decision, adding: "I've noticed, especially in the last few weeks, that I have reached an age at which regeneration takes longer.



"I felt that I went to the limit, it was incredibly stressful."


Bayern executive chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, who helped install former Barcelona boss Pep Guardiola as Heynckes' successor for next season, suggested the door will always be open for a man who has coached, among others, Real Madrid, Benfica and Schalke, in a long career.



Rummenigge said: "If sometime, after his holiday has passed and his spirit has returned, he can call myself and (supervisory board chairman) Uli (Hoeness).



"The doors at Bayern are still wide open."


No comments:

Post a Comment