Pages

Saturday, June 1, 2013

Higuain confirms Madrid exit plan



Real Madrid striker Gonzalo Higuain has confirmed he will leave the club this northern summer.



The Argentina international scored the opener as Madrid saw off Osasuna 4-2 on the final day of the Primera Division season but revealed afterwards his 122nd goal for Los Merengues would be his last.



He is widely expected to join Juventus in the coming weeks, although confirmation of his availability is sure to attract the interest of a host of elite clubs.



"I feel that my time here has come to an end and I want a change of scenery. I have experienced seven intense, tough and happy years here," the 25-year-old told reporters



"It was a decision I have been thinking about for some time. It's tough, it wasn't easy to make, but I will go to another club to seek new challenges.



"My family have suffered a lot too. It's a decision the club and me took together, and I hope it's for the best."



Despite his fine scoring record since joining Madrid in January 2007 from River Plate, Higuain has not always enjoyed a good relationship with either fans or coaches, and was booed during the second leg of Madrid's UEFA Champions League semi-final loss to Borussia Dortmund at the end of April.



"I am not going because I was booed," he added. "In seven years this is the first time I have been booed. There are other reasons, but I'm not going to reveal them.



"I have stayed here for seven years and that is for a reason. I equalled the record of a legend like Juanito by becoming the 16th greatest goalscorer in the history of the club.



"No one has given me anything for free, I've had to work my guts out. I leave here happy with the goals I've scored and I managed to get the fans on my side and sing my name."



Pressed on his future, he added: "I haven't decided where I am going.



"There have been offers from Juventus, but I honestly don't know where I'll go.



"I want to go to a club that really believes in me and where I will be happy."

No comments:

Post a Comment