Pages

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Reading wrap up Adkins deal

Reading have appointed Nigel Adkins as their new manager, the Englishman signing a contract until summer 2016.



The 48-year-old was dismissed by Southampton in January after a three-year stint at St Mary's but takes over the Berkshire hotseat ahead of Saturday's crucial Premier League match at Arsenal.

Adkins said: "I've joined Reading Football Club, (and) I want to be in the Premier League. First of all, I haven't been able to do this, can I take this opportunity to thank the people of Southampton, the people, staff, players and the supporters because we were all on a fantastic journey but we've all got to move on.

"I'm really pleased and (feel) priveleged to be Reading manager and yes we have to have a belief and a desire to take one game at a time and make sure this football club remains in the Premier League. That's why I've come.

"It's a good football club first and foremost and I was impressed when I met the owner, when I met Nick (Hammond).

"There's a stability, a future, I'm looking forward and excited about the prospect of being here."

Adkins will be assisted at the Madejski Stadium by Andy Crosby, his No 2 at Saints, and Reading owner Anton Zingarevich said: "I am delighted to bring Nigel to our club because he is perfect for us.

"He has great respect within the game, his CV speaks for itself and he has many attributes as a manager, he is progressive, he develops players, his teams play attacking, passing football but most of all he knows how to win games at all levels.

"This is an appointment we have made both with the short and long term in mind and Nigel can take our club forward.

"I know our supporters have been keen to hear news over the past two weeks and I am certain they will join me in saying it was worth the wait. I wish Nigel and Andy nothing but good luck and now we focus on eight hugely important games in the Premier League.



"Our supporters will also play a vital part in the finale to the season and I am certain Nigel will get an excellent reception from our fans at the Emirates on Saturday."

No comments:

Post a Comment