Pages

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Reina: A move to Barca is out of my hands


Pepe Reina stated that he has no immediate desire to replace Barcelona goalkeeper, Victor Valdes when his contract expires in June 2014, and anything to the contrary is rumour.





In an interview with Spanish sports daily, AS, Reina responded to rumours that he is pushing for a move back to the Camp Nou and insists he is content at Anfield.



“[A move to Barcelona] is not in my hands and the rumour will keep increasing by the media. Barca are such a great club, but I'm happy at Liverpool.”



Reina went on to say that he maintains a good relationship with his former La Masia team-mate, but would not reveal any details behind his decision, even if he knew anything.



“He is a friend, I’m going to respect him in everything that he decides,” he said. “He will have his reasons. He’s not told me anything.”



The Spanish international was elated by his chance to start for the Spanish national team, with Real Madrid’s Iker Casillas still sidelined as he recovers from surgery and spoke about Casilla’s replacement with Los Blancos, Diego Lopez.



“Everything indicates that I will play, but I won’t change my attitude because Iker isn’t here. I’m always excited and prepared. Not everybody that is called up is lucky enough to play. Only 11 play, but being called up by your country is an honour.



“Diego is playing so well; he has been decisive in many games and he is a Real Madrid-quality goalkeeper, without doubt. But in the national team it is the manager that makes the decisions.”




Reina with his teammates at Euro 2012





Reina concluded that despite his reputation as a jokester, he takes his job very seriously, while still allowing himself to enjoy the good times at the appropriate moments.



“I’m not the showman. I’m an extrovert and joyful, and I have been lucky enough to be able to celebrate three great titles. I have been one of the most dedicated, but I am one of La Roja’s goalkeepers, not the showman.





“It’s not something that I prepare; I'm like that and whoever knows me knows that. But at the same time I don’t want people to prefer the funny Pepe Reina. I want them to value me as a sportsman.”

No comments:

Post a Comment